Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Death Comes to the Fair: A Kurland St. Mary Mystery


Happy Holidays!  I hope everyone had a good Tuesday.  Today I am featuring the author Catherine Lloyd who writes A Kurland St. Mary Mystery series.  The four books in the series are Death Comes to the Village, Death Comes to London, Death Comes to Kurland Hall, and Death Comes to the Fair. You can follow Catherine Lloyd on Amazon and Facebook.

Death Comes to the Fair by Catherine Lloyd is the fourth book in A Kurland St. Mary Mystery series.  It is October in 1817 in Kurland St. Mary (England).  Major Sir Robert Kurland is engaged to Miss Lucy Harrington, the rector’s daughter.  Sir Robert wants the wedding to be soon, but Lucy is the niece of an earl.  Her relative’s want her to have a big wedding in London (which will take time to plan).  Sir Robert is not known for his patience.  It is time for the village fair (done after the harvest) and, Robert is to judge the vegetables.  Robert is new to judging, and he believes in the best should win.  Ezekiel Thurrock, the local verger, wins the majority of the prizes for the vegetables. Many of the locals are angry at the outcome (Lucy tried to warn Robert).  Lucy goes to arrange the church’s harvest display, and she finds Ezekiel dead.  A gargoyle lays nearby, and it is obvious it hit Ezekiel on the head.  Upon investigation (Lucy cannot help herself) Lucy discovers that the gargoyle is not part of the church.  Robert is the local magistrate and, with Lucy’s help, starts looking into Ezekiel’s background.  Ezekiel’s brother, Nathaniel happens to be staying at the rectory.  It turns out that Nathaniel is trying to prove that the Kurland family stole land from the Thurrock’s.  The more the pair look into the Thurrock family history, the more secrets they uncover.  Someone in the village does not like their inquiries and takes action to sideline the pair.  Lucy and Robert will need to keep their wits about them to make it out of this situation!

Death Comes to the Fair is well-written, engaging, and easy to read.  I liked the characters, the historical period, and the setting. Catherine Lloyd certainly captures the historical period.  I also liked the side stories that took place in the novel (my favorite was between Dr. Fletcher and Miss Penelope Chingford).  I appreciated the author’s descriptions of the Lucy’s clothes (even though Penelope kept spiriting them off).  The novel contains just the right amount of humor (it will make you laugh) and romance.  I give Death Comes to the Fair 4.5 out of 5 stars (I really liked it).  The mystery seems complicated (which I relished), but it can be solved (if you pay careful attention to the details).  I was delighted that the mystery was the main focus of the book.  Death Comes to the Fair is the fourth book in the series, but it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone novel.  I will unequivocally be reading the next book in A Kurland St. Mary Mystery series.  

I hope you enjoyed today's review.  I am off to relax.  My cold has taken a bad turn.  I am going to take some more cold medicine and climb into my bed.  I will see you tomorrow when I return!  Take care, have a lovely night and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment