Monday, July 31, 2017

The Dream Keeper's Daughter: A Novel by Emily Colin


Happy Monday!  I hope you had a great weekend.  Emily Colin debut novel was The Memory Thief and has followed it with The Dream Keeper's Daughter. Readers can follow Emily on Amazon and on Twitter (@emilyacolin).  

The Dream Keeper’s Daughter by Emily Colin is a book about two people who wish to find each other.  Dr. Isabel Griffin lives in Charleston, South Carolina with her seven-year-old daughter, Finn.  Finn’s father, Max Adair disappeared eight years ago, and Isabel has not heard from him since.  This is the second time this has happened to Isabel.  Her mother, Julia disappeared in a similar manner six year prior to Max’s disappearance.  While on a dig in Barbados, Isabel receives a call from Max telling her to keep Finn safe.  Hope surges within Isabel that Max is still alive.  Where is he?  Later, one of the students uncovers part of her mother’s custom-made necklace.  How did her necklace end up here?  Isabel heads home to Finn, her dad, and her best friend, Ryan Baxter.  Strange events occur that convince Isabel that Max is alive and trying to reach her.  Will they ever be together again?

The Dream Keeper’s Daughter was a missed opportunity.  I liked the core idea, but I was not a fan of the completed novel (I finished it and said “meh”).  The story alternates chapters between Isabel in the present and Max in the past.  I would just settle into Max’s story when we were back to Isabel. While in the present with Isabel, she would then reminisce about her past with Max (it could get confusing at times).  In the past with Max, he would remember his time with Isabel.  I was not enamored with Isabel (did not like her at all).  Isabel came across as obsessed (in finding Max) and unable to move forward with her life emotionally.  The time difference is never really explained.  Max disappears and is gone eight years, but it is only two weeks for him.   I wish the author had played up Finn’s special abilities.  The supernatural elements were not emphasized or brought to life.  My rating for The Dream Keeper’s Daughter is 2 out of 5 stars.   I thought the story was lackluster and flat (this is one of those books I did not want to finish).   The ending was disappointing and expected.  Readers are left with many unanswered questions (I would be more detailed, but then I would give away key details).  The descriptive relations between Max and Isabel unnecessary (though predictable).  I do want to mention that the book does contain foul language and violence.  The Dream Keeper’s Daughter comes across as a first draft instead of a published novel.  

I appreciate you reading my book evaluation.  I will return on Tuesday to tell you about some of the new releases and to share my thoughts on Covered in Darkness by Heather Sunseri.  May you have a delightful day.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment