Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Silvia's Rose: Peace in the Valley Novel


Welcome!  I hope everyone enjoyed the eclipse on Monday.  Beverly Lewis has a new novel being published on September 5.  It is titled The Proving.  I am looking forward to reading this new Amish novel. The Beloved Christmas Quilt by Wanda Brunstetter will be out on the same day.  

Silvia’s Rose by Jerry S. Eicher is the first novel in Peace in the Valley series.  Esther Stoltzfus has moved with her daughter, Diana new a new home in the valley.  It is a chance for them to start fresh after the death of her husband, Lonnie.  Esther feels God has led her to the area to marry Isaiah Mast.  Isaiah is a widower and a minister that Esther knew as a teen back in Lancaster County. Esther feels that Isaiah would be the perfect husband for her and it seems that many people in the area agree.  Esther is known for being no-nonsense, practical, and organized (good qualities for a minister’s wife).  Then she meets Joseph Zook who lives across the street and owns a greenhouse.  Joseph is a widower who deeply loved his wife, Silvia.  He created a special rose (which he named Silvia’s Rose) which he is hoping will win an award.  Joseph’s beliefs in romance and love change Esther’s views.  Esther is not the only person influenced by Joseph’s stories.  Joseph knows he needs a wife and mother for his son, Ben.  However, he has found it difficult to move on from Silvia until Arlene King comes into his life.  Arlene does not buy into Joseph’s ideas of romance, but she yearns to be his wife.  Is there a possibility of a second chance at love for Joseph?  Will Isaiah be able to win Esther’s heart?  Find out how their stories end in Silvia’s Rose.

Silvia’s Rose is a sweet and simple Amish romance novel.  It is nicely written and easy to read.  Silvia’s Rose is a clean, wholesome story that is perfect for younger readers (young adults).  I do wonder if people in real life talk the way they do in this book.  They frequently mention God’s will, having faith, power of prayer, etc.  The religious aspect was a little heavy for my tastes.  I thought it needed a lighter touch.  My rating for Silvia’s Rose is 3 out of 5 stars. I found the main details to be repeated frequently.  The ending is predictable.  I kept hoping for a different conclusion (would have made it more interesting).  Silvia’s Rose is an inspirational story about a second chance at love, faith, power of prayer, friendship, and how God has a plan for each of us (if we are brave enough to follow His lead).  Silvia’s Rose is a charming, Christian romance.  It is the type of story I would have enjoyed when I was tween (I was an advanced reader--I read the works of Patrick Dennis when I was 13).  The other two novels in the Peace in the Valley series are Phoebe's Gift and Mary's Home (I will be reviewing them soon).

I appreciate your visit.  My current reading pleasure is Oh, Fudge by Nancy Coco.  May you have a special and happy Tuesday.  I will be featuring A Wedding Tail by Casey Griffin (do you know what other name this author writes under) next time (later in the week when I feel better).  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment