Thursday, September 28, 2017

Turkey Trot Murder: A Lucy Stone Mystery


Hello!  Leslie Meier is the author of A Lucy Stone Mystery series which consists of twenty-four books.  I have read each delightful installment in this series.  The series began with Mistletoe Murder in 2008.  Readers can revisit two A Lucy Stone Mystery holiday classics in Holiday Murder.  It contains Mistletoe Murder and Christmas Cookie Murder (it will provide you with many laugh out loud moments).

Turkey Trot Murder by Leslie Meier is the twenty-fourth A Lucy Stone Mystery.  Lucy Stone is out jogging (really) preparing for Tinker’s Cove annual Turkey Trot 5K race.  She is going by Blueberry Pond when she notices something pink near the reeds.  Upon closer (and careful) inspection, Lucy finds the body of a girl and immediately contact the police.   The victim is Alison Franklin, daughter of new board of health member, Ed Franklin.  Alison’s death is blamed on drugs which has been a problem recently in the local area.  Lucy, however, is unsure that drugs were Alison’s undoing.  Chef Rey Rodriguez has purchased the Olde Irish Pub and plans to turn it into Cali Kitchen.  Locals are in an uproar over this new addition thanks to Ed Franklin (he is lumping the Rodriguez family in with Mexican drug dealers).  Things are heating up in Tinker’s Cove and Lucy will need to work quickly if the town is to have a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving!

Turkey Trot Murder is well-written and engaging.  It has a nice easy writing style and flow that makes for a pleasurable read.  It is always delightful to revisit Lucy Stone and her family.  Lucy has certainly changed since readers were introduced to her (and her family) in Mistletoe Murder.  There is plenty of action in Turkey Trot Murder (murder and mayhem—just the way I like it).  I like how Ms. Meier tackled the issues of opiate dependency and immigration.  Ed Franklin will remind readers of a real life figure that holds a high political office in our country.   I give Turkey Trot Murder 5 out of 5 stars (I loved it).  Ms. Meier creates such engaging, personable characters (Lucy, Bill, Rachel, Pam, Ted) and a charming town (that is facing some troubles).  I like the humor that is injected into the story creating many laugh out loud moments (which I really needed since I read this while we were without power after Hurricane Irma).  The mystery was absorbing, and I liked following the clues to solve the case. I really appreciate the lovely ending and how the author wrapped up all the storylines.  I look forward to reading the next A Lucy Stone Mystery when it is published.

I appreciate you visiting today and reading my latest book review.  I will be sharing my thoughts about Whispers of Warning by Jessica Estevao next time. May each of you have a delightful day! Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment