Saturday, December 9, 2017

Hide and Seek: A D.I. Helen Grace Thriller


Welcome!  A Courtship on Huckleberry Hill by Jennifer Beckstrand will be released on December 26.  It is the eighth book in The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series with Anna and Felty Helmuth.  You can count on Anna and Felty to match up another grandchild with their true love and throw in some crocheted (or knitted) items and Anna's inedible food.

Hide and Seek by M.J. Arlidge is the sixth book in D.I. Helen Grace series.  Helen Grace is behind bars in Holloway Prison and she is in general population.  Helen needs to find a way to stay alive until the trial or until Charlie Brooks can find the real killer—Robert Stonehill.  Just when Helen thinks her situation cannot get any worse, a body turns up in the next cell.  Grace (being Grace) cannot help but investigate the crime.  Then the killer strikes again.  Grace needs to work quickly to find the culprit before they kill again.  Making things more difficult is Annie, a gang leader, bent on causing Helen harm. Charlie is working quickly to locate Robert Stonehill and prove Grace’s innocence.  Charlie is risking her job to help her friend.  Helen and Charlie are racing against the clock.  Will Helen make it out of Holloway alive?  Can Charlie find Robert Stonehill in time to save Helen?  Who is killing the female prisoners in Holloway?
Hide and Seek is masterful.  M.J. Arlidge has done it again with Hide and Seek.  I found it well-written with a complex mystery and a fast pace.  There is plenty of action, suspense and twists.  The author keeps a reader guessing in this one (it was delightful).  I suggest that you read the books in the D.I. Helen Grace series in order.  The books in the series build on one another.  What happens in Hide and Seek is the result of what occurred in Little Boy Blue.  Helen is a complex character (intelligent, resilient, good instincts) with many layers (we have only scratched the surface in the first six books).  We get to see a different side of Helen in this story.  I was glad to see Charlie get more play in Hide and Seek.  She is also strong, smart, and feisty.    The action ramps up toward the end of the story, and I was glued to my e-reader.  I did not stop reading until I finished the book (I was riveted).  M.J. Arlidge keeps readers on the edge of their seats.  I am giving Hide and Seek 5 out of 5 stars (I loved it).  I have both the book and the audiobook (allowed me to listen to the story on the go).  The narrator did a wonderful job.  If you enjoy psychological thrillers/suspense novels, then Hide and Seek is for you.  I am eager to read the next installment in the D.I. Helen Grace series which is Love Me Knot.

I appreciate you visiting today and checking out my latest review.  I will return tomorrow with my review of Secrets of Cavendon by Barbara Taylor Bradford.  May you have a delightful day.  Take care, stay warm (it is in the 50s in my area of Florida) and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment