Sunday, May 13, 2018

The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman


Happy Mother's Day!  I am sharing a novel today that embraces family.  A special recipe box with family recipes that passes from mother to daughter.  Viola Shipman is the author of The Charm Bracelet, The Hope Chest, and Christmas AngelsViola Shipman is the pen name for Wade Rouse.  

The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman is set in Bayview Points, Michigan.  Samantha "Sam" Nelson is working at Dimples Bakery in New York when her boss, Chef Dimples goes too far and she quits.  She has had enough of his attitude and taking credit for her work.  Sam grew up in Bayview Points on her families' orchard, Mullins Pie Pantry and U-Pick.  The orchard is having its hundredth birthday this summer and her grandmother, Willo is turning seventy-five.  There will be a big party in honor of the two events.  Sam heads home for the summer and works in the pie pantry alongside her mother, Deana and grandmother.  When Sam was thirteen, she was given a handcrafted recipe box that matches grandmother's and her mother's.  Inside are the family recipes that have been passed down from mother to daughter.  While working alongside them and using the family recipes, she learns about their past, her family history, how the orchard came to be and her love for baking.  She also learns that the right man that will complement her has been there all along if she just opens her heart.  Join Sam on a journey through the past that will help her have a bright, happy future. 

The Recipe Box is a charming novel.  I thought it was well-written and had a steady pace.  Ms. Shipman has a conversational writing style that has an ease to it (makes for an easy to read story that is engaging).  The author provided beautiful descriptions of the area, the orchard, the people and the baked goods (recipes included).  I loved the characters in the story with Willo being my favorite.  I appreciated the strong, intelligent female characters.  There are great interactions between the women.  Life lessons are included in The Recipe Box which include know yourself and be true to yourself.  It is important to live a life without regrets.  The Recipe Box is a feel-good novel.  There is a predictable element, but it did not hinder my enjoyment.  I like a book that gives me a good, heartwarming feeling inside and leaves me with a smile on my face when I am done reading it.  I look forward to this author's next book. 

Thank you for stopping by today.  I will be featuring Full Moons, Dunes and Macaroons by Erin Johnson on Monday.  The fifth installment in Spells and Caramels series.  I hope you have a very special day.  Take care and Happy Reading!


Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment