Sunday, November 20, 2016

Christmas Angels


Welcome!  I hope everyone has had a good Sunday.  I woke up this morning with an extremely sore throat and a tightness in my chest. Lucky me (though not unexpected)!  It gives me a chance to read more though! A Killer Location by Sarah T. Hobart comes out on Tuesday.  It is the latest A Home Sweet Home Mystery novel.  

Christmas Angels by Viola Shipman is set in St. Louis, Missouri.  Kate Roseberry owns Holidays by Kate! She designs and executes holiday designs for malls, offices, events, etc. Tree toppers are her signature (she always puts the tree topper on herself).   Christmas is usually her favorite time of the year, but Kate has not been able to get into this spirit of the season this year.  The previous year her boyfriend, Tyler broke up with her during the holiday season.  Kate meets Chad Cooper while decorating the St. Louis Tower, a new shopping mall.  Chad is purchasing a Halloween costume for his son, Coop (he is seven). Coop wishes to go as an angel (unusual choice for a little boy).  Chad asks Kate if she believes in angels.  Kate can see that Chad is struggling.  Later when Kate is setting up the conference room for Cooper, Anderson, Schiff and Hines (a law firm) Christmas party when the firm asks her to decorate Chad’s house for him and his son.  Chad lost his wife, Ella the previous winter after years of illness (cancer).  They are worried about Chad and his son.  This could be what they need to help them heal. Chad’s son, Coop is very serious (yet sweet) little boy.  Coop is taken with Kate and she with him.  The three start to spend time together.  Can they help each other heal and move forward? Do you believe in angels?

Christmas Angels is a sweet, though short, story.  It is a light romance novel that will help put you in the mood for Christmas any time of the year.  It is well-written and easy to read. I like the characters (especially Coop) and the descriptions of the decorations.  I especially liked that Coop had a Sock Monkey stocking cap (my mother just loves everything Sock Monkey’s).  It was a cute touch for such a serious little boy. The book contains a good message about angels.  I give Christmas Angels 4 out of 5 stars.  I did enjoy the story, but I wish it had been a little longer.  It felt rushed at the end and the ending felt incomplete.  The book includes a preview of Viola Shipman’s next book The Hope Chest (takes up the last 40%) which comes out March 21, 2017.

I appreciate you visiting!  If you enjoy my reviews, please consider joining my blog (at right).  I am off to eat dinner and rest (need to knock this cold out of me).  The Librarians third season start tonight (such a wonderful show).  I will return tomorrow with another delightful book review (in my humble opinion).  Take care, stay warm and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment