Monday, November 14, 2016

Search for the Dead


Greetings!  I hope all of you have had a very special day.  I am amazed at how early it gets dark now. I could do work outside until after 8 p.m.  Now I need to get everything done by 5:30 p.m. (if I wish to see what I am doing).  Do you like it like longer or dark earlier?

Search for the Dead by Sheila Connolly is the fifth book in the Relatively Dead Mysteries.  Abby Kimball is able to see her dead ancestors.  She discovered her ability when she moved to Lexington, Massachusetts and met Ned Newhall (now he is her boyfriend).  Ned has the same ability along with his biological daughter, Ellie.  Ned and Abby’s abilities are enhanced when they touch.  Abby has investigated her family tree as far as she can go.  She would like to take her research in another direction.  Abby wants Ned to explore the scientific angle.  See if there is a genetic reason for their shared abilities.  Abby wants to check out spiritualists, psychics, and mediums.  She wants to see if their abilities are real or if they are fake.  Abby is in luck when there is a special event in the area featuring people with various abilities.  This is the perfect opportunity for Abby.  Ned has a friend with a MEG machine.  Ned goes first and they get interesting readings when the two of them touch.  Unfortunately, things do not go as smoothly for Abby.  What happens is devastating to Abby.  Ellie wants to spend more time with Abby, but Leslie has yet to accept Ellie’s abilities (and taking it out on Ned and Abby).  Join Abby and Ned in their explorations in Search for the Dead.

I was so eager to get Search for the Dead and read it.  I was extremely let down.  The book needed a good rewrite and extensive editing.  I thought too much time was spent on scientific mumbo jumbo.  I say it that way because most of it was too complicated.  A reader will get the gist, but it really adds nothing to the story.  There are also pages of Abby thinking and doubting herself (her relationship with Ned, her life, etc.).  The worst part of the novel are the sex scenes (thinking about sex, their touching and the resulting reaction) which do not go with this series.  There were some good sections, but they were few and far between.  I give Search for the Dead 2.5 out of 5 stars (less than okay).  Search for the Dead is not a stand alone novel.  You need to have read at the previous books in the series in order to understand this novel.  I am tired of Leslie and her attitude.  She needs to strap on her big girl panties and be there for her daughter (because chances are good that the son will have the same abilities).  I found the same information repeated frequently (the reaction of what happens when Ned and Abby touch, Abby’s lack of job, Abby’s skepticism of psychics, etc.).  I do not understand Abby setting off to find others with the same abilities at this juncture.  I think Abby has a wonderful gift that she needs to embrace and learn how to use.  Abby and Ned have not fully explored their abilities.  I would like to see them have a little fun with it.  Think of the information they could learn (the history and family details).  I am tired of Abby whining about not having a job.  She does not wish to live off Ned, but Abby not gone out and looked for a job.  Personally, if she does not have to work, Abby should be doing a happy dance.  I think she should think about writing a book (fiction).  Abby can take the information from her ancestors and make a great novel (or children’s book).  The one thing missing from Search for the Dead is the mystery.  The Relatively Dead Mysteries had a good beginning, but they (the books) have seriously deteriorated.  I really hope there is significant improvement in the next book in the series.

I appreciate you visiting and reading my review.  I am currently reading Death of a Wolfman by Susan Boles.  I just became a member of her street team!  I sincerely hope all of you have a good night.  I am off to cook dinner and then relax (maybe take a little nap).  I will see you tomorrow with a new book review. Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader  

No comments:

Post a Comment