Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase


Welcome fellow readers!  I hope you are having a nice, relaxing Sunday.  Amy Clipston has a new novel releasing on May 9.  It is The Beloved Hope Chest which is the fourth book in An Amish Heirloom series.   It is a lovely story that nicely wraps up the series.

The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase by Greg Cox is the second book in The Librarians trilogy.  Eve Baird along with Cassandra Cillian, Jake Stone, and Ezekiel Jones have just returned to the Library annex in Portland, Oregon after another successful mission.  They are all off to relax when the Clippings Book (and the Librarians miniature versions) start acting up.  A professor in Northumberland wakes up inside a pumpkin, a tree trimmer in Miami gets carried away by a freaky wind, a librarian in Ohio found three mice without eyes in her kitchen (and she attacked them with a butcher knife), and Mother Goose’s Magic Garden, an amusement park, is about to be demolished.  Jenkins believes that the 1918 Mother Goose Treaty has been broken.  In the 1700s Elizabeth Goose created a spellbook that ended up getting published.  The Librarian at that time rounded up all the copies except one which remained with the family.  It ended up getting divided into three sections for the three different factions of the Goose family in 1918.  It seems that a descendant has decided to stage a coup and claim all three copies to enact a horrible spell.  Stone, Cassandra, and Ezekiel each take a different clipping and set off.  Eve and Jenkins have their hands full in the Library.  Mother Goose’s magic has set off the goose that lays the golden egg.  They need to catch it and return it to its cage before more magical items start acting up.  Just another typical day for the Librarians and their Guardian!  Join Eve, Ezekiel, Stone, Jenkins and Cassandra on another magical adventure in The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase.

The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase is bewitching.  Greg Cox captured the quirky character’s personalities perfectly (for those of you who watch the show) as well as the Library.  I could just envision the Library from the written descriptions.  I found the book to be well-written, engaging, and entertaining.  I thoroughly enjoyed the humor in this story.  I found myself laughing out loud many times while reading The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase (especially when Jenkins was trying to capture the goose and Eve with Dead Man’s Chest).  The book has a fast pace that never slacks.  The description of Mother Goose was spot on from the children’s books.  I give The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase 5 out of 5 stars.  I do wish, though, that the mystery had not been so easy to solve.  One clue was all I needed to identify the responsible party.  Others not used to reading mysteries, will enjoy the twist! The book is written with four points-of-view (Cassandra, Stone, Ezekiel, and Eve) which works for this book.  It is not confusing or complicated.  If you have not watched the show or the movies, you can read the book.   The author provides the backstory needed.  I think it does help, though, to have watched the show.  As I read the book, I could picture it in my head.  I have not had the opportunity to read The Librarians and The Lost Lamp (first book in trilogy), but I have moved it to the top of my TBR pile.  The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase will be available on April 25.


I am off to read (this will be by second attempt) The Witchfinder's Sister by Beth Underdown.  It sounded like a good book, but it is very slow paced (I believe grass grows faster).  I will be back tomorrow when I will share my review of Rachel's Dream by Lisa Jones Baker.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment