Sunday, October 29, 2017

Seashells, Spells and Caramels: Spells and Caramels (Cozy Witch Mystery)


I hope that you are having a lovely, uneventful Sunday.  Vannetta Chapman has her new Defending America series available for pre-order on Amazon. The two titles are Coyote's Revenge and Roswell's Secret.  They will be released on December 20.  

Seashells, Spells and Caramels by Erin Johnson is the first book in the Spells and Caramels series.  Imogen has almost enough money saved to open the bakery she has been dreaming of for years.  Catering her difficult boss’s rehearsal dinner will give her the last bit of funds needed.  At the party she is given a flyer for a baking contest to become the next Royal Head Baker.  After a fire destroys her apartment and wipes out her savings, Imogen is delighted to find out that she has been accepted into the contest.  She takes the last of her money and flies to France that night.  Imogen discovers that magic is real and that she is a witch.  With no clue how to work her magic, Imogen struggles with the various contest challenges.  It is especially difficult since her flame, Iggy is unwilling to cooperate (they do not have electricity).  After a particularly difficult challenge, one of her fellow competitors drops dead from poisoning and Imogen is the prime suspect.  Imogen will need to find the guilty party while keeping herself in the competition.   Is there a chance of Imogen winning the competition?  Who is behind the murder? 

Seashells, Spells and Caramels is a fast-paced novel that I found thoroughly entertaining.  It is nicely written, has great characters, magic, mayhem, a little romance, mischief, humor, and murder.  I started reading this book late one evening and did not go to sleep until I finished it.  Iggy, the flame, was a unique character.  He had such personality and the author really brought him to life for me.  Erin Johnson has a great writing style that make for a fun, enjoyable read.  I laughed out loud many times (there was giggling and chuckling too) while reading this paranormal mystery.  Imogen’s clumsiness reminds me of my own (I am lucky I have not set fire to my kitchen.  There have been some singed paper towels, food and dishtowels.).  The mystery was intriguing, but it can be solved before the reveal (but it did not hinder my enjoyment).  I appreciated the misdirection employed in the story.   I was delighted with the unique world the author created.  My rating for Seashells, Spells and Caramels is 5 out of 5 stars.  I am eager to read the next magical installment in the Spells and Caramels series which is Black Arts, Tarts and Gypsy Carts.  Both books are available through the Kindle Unlimited Program on Amazon.

I will return tomorrow with my evaluation of The Amish Christmas Candle by Kelly Long, Jennifer Beckstrand and Lisa Jones Baker.   By the way--What did one library book say to the other?    Can I take you out?   Have a spooktacular day and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader


No comments:

Post a Comment