Sunday, October 15, 2017

Yuletide Homicide: A Wiccan Wheel Mystery


Welcome!  I wanted to mention that Cremains of the Day by Misty Simon and Slay Bells Ring by Karen Rose Smith will be published on October 31.  So many new books and so little time to read them!  I think my TBR list is topping 300. My mother is actually starting to complain about the piles of books around the house (I have them stacked on top of and under many pieces of furniture in every room of the house).  I really need to get more bookshelves!

Yuletide Homicide by Jennifer David Hesse is the third story in A Wiccan Wheel Mystery series.  Keli Milanni is a lawyer at the law firm of Olsen, Sykes and Rafferty.  Keli is called into Beverly’s office (her boss) along with Crenshaw Davenport III (an overbearing colleague).  One of their clients, Edgar Harrison of Harrison Properties LLC is being blackmailed.  Beverly would like them to work Edgar’s offices and attempt to locate the culprit.  Edgar has just announced that he is running for mayor of Edindale in the next election.   Keli is at the Harrison Properties Christmas party at the Harrison Hotel and is surprised when her old college boyfriend, Mick MacIntyre shows up (he is a piece of work).  Later that night, Keli gets a call from Mick asking her to return to the hotel.  Keli notices a small Christmas tree knocked over and Edgar dead nearby.  Police rule the death an accident, but Keli knows he was murdered.  She sets out to discover who was blackmailing Edgar and sent him plunging to his death. 

Yuletide Homicide had a mystery with medium complexity, and I believe some readers will be surprised by the outcome.  Keli, though, was annoying and lackluster in this installment in A Wiccan Wheel Mystery series.  The Wiccan elements did nothing to enhance or add to the story.  Another unnecessary element was the return of Keli ex-boyfriend.  The only reason it seemed he was added was to get Keli to return to the hotel.  His storyline was left unfinished.  I am giving Yuletide Homicide 3 out of 5 stars.  I was glad to see the action pick up towards the end of the story.  The book lags in the middle while Keli does her investigating (questioning).  If you are looking for a feel-good Christmas cozy, I suggest you keep looking.  The first two books in A Wiccan Wheel Mystery series are Midsummer Nights Mischief and Bell, Book & Candlemas.

I hope that you have a pleasant day!  I will be featuring The Girl Who Saved Ghosts by K.C. Tansley (aka Kourtney Heintz) October 17.  Tomorrow I will share my review of The Skeleton Paints a Picture by Leigh Perry (Sid is back). Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment