Thursday, April 18, 2024

Dating an Amish Flirt by Rachel

 Dating an Amish Flirt

Book Summary

Between heavenly homemade bread, irresistible desserts, and stunning crafts, Lancaster, Pennsylvania’s Green Valley Farmer’s Market provides warm-hearted community—and love’s surprising possibilities . . .

With her sweet nature and delicate beauty, Rachel Glick attracts boys like bees to a flower—despite her best attempts to discourage them. Downhearted since her beloved brother’s death, and isolated as the sole caretaker to her invalid mother, Rachel would welcome the friendship of other girls. But her unfair reputation as a flirt leaves her snubbed. Yet she’s only ever loved Josh Yoder, her childhood best friend. Why he distanced himself from her in eighth grade, she’ll never understand. And now, though he’s been a blessing doing repairs around her farm, he is courting another girl, so there is no going back . . .
Josh has been in love with Rachel since he was a boy. But he can never forgive himself for hurting her—or for the reason behind it. He can only do his best to lighten her burdens and hope others see her good heart. Still, the sight of her fills him with fresh longing, much as he tries to focus on his girlfriend and forget the past. Yet when jealousy flares, igniting trouble, they both must look to faith to do what’s right—and bring joyous futures for everyone . . .

My Thoughts

Dating an Amish Flirt by Rachel J. Good is a sweet story.  I enjoyed reading the sixth book in the Surprised by Love series.  It can be read as a standalone for those new to the series, but you will be missing out on Mrs. Vandenburg’s kindness and meddling.  Personally, I feel that Loving an Amish Flirt would have been a better title for this story (you will see what I mean when you read it).  I enjoyed getting to know Rachel and Josh.  I felt for Rachel who is ostracized by the girls her own age because she is pretty, and the men crowd around her like a moth to a flame (without encouragement from Rachel). I did not like the way the girls (young women) gossiped about Rachel (this may be a trigger for some readers).  I found the characters to be developed and relatable.  The story is easy to read.  

Mrs. Vandenburg is a delight (I wish she lived in my community). She is a wise woman who receives “nudges” from God. I love how she meddles in people’s lives (in a good-natured way).  No one can say no to her.  Mrs. Vandenburg provides humor throughout the story.  Faith is beautifully woven into the story.  Trusting God, relying on Him, and forgiveness are main themes in the story.  Rachel makes quillows which is an item that I had not heard of previously.  It was interesting learning about these blankets that fold into themselves and become pillows.  The pacing was a leisurely and there was some repetition of details.  Dating an Amish Flirt has an ending that left me smiling and the storylines were nicely tied up.  Dating an Amish Flirt is a tender tale with gossipy girls, an aloof friend, quilting quillows, an amusing meddler, suppressing a secret, and a gracious God.

Dating an Amish Flirt will be out on April 23 and it can be preordered from Amazon*.  The first five books in the Surprised by Love series can be found here.  The next Surprised by Love novel is Missing Her Amish Boyfriend which releases on August 20.  Rachel J. Good along with Shelley Shepard Gray and Lenora Worth have The Christmas Gathering coming out on September 24.  If you follow Rachel J. Good on Amazon, they will send you an email when she has a new book release.  Thank you for joining me today.  I will return on Tuesday, April 23 with The Mysterious Amish Bachelor by Vannetta Chapman.  It is the fourth book in the Indiana Amish Market series.  I finished putting up my Cinco de Mayo decorations outside last evening. I have searched high and low, but I have not found inflatables for Mother's or Father's Day.  I do have a stately patriotic eagle for Memorial Day.  I hope that you have a relaxing weekend.  I will be finishing Hidden Mountain Secrets by Kerry Johnson this evening.  As you can tell, I like to read a variety of genres. Plus, I have traveled the world through books.  Take care and Happy Reading!


Kris

The Avid Reader

*I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.  I am not required to leave a review.  The comments and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

1 comment: