Thursday, June 6, 2024

Hidden in the Night by Elizabeth Goddard

Hidden in the Night
Book Summary

At the behest of her ailing mother, former FBI special agent turned rare-book collector Ivy Elliott arrives in Alaska to secure an unpublished Jack London manuscript kept secreted away for decades. But when she arrives, she learns the manuscript is gone--taken by the granddaughter of the woman who possessed it. Ivy sets off in pursuit, not just to save the manuscript but to save the vulnerable girl, who was previously trafficked and has no idea what she's getting herself into.
 
Joining forces with Alaska State Trooper Nolan Long, Ivy must battle a blizzard, sabotage, and the worst of an Alaskan winter as the search goes on. But every answer they find only raises more questions--and the danger to their lives and to the missing girl may only be the tip of the iceberg.

My Thoughts

Hidden in the Night by Elizabeth Goddard is the third book in the Missing in Alaska series.  It can be read as a standalone for those new to the series (like me).  I enjoyed the author’s picturesque descriptions of Alaska.  I like suspense books set in Alaska.  There is something about this remote cold wilderness that heightens the danger and adds to the suspense.  Ivy Elliott is a unique woman. You can tell she loves her mother.  Alaska State Trooper Nolan Long is a man of strong character.  The mystery was intriguing.  I liked that it revolved around a missing Jack London manuscript.  I found the first half to be a little slow, but the pacing picked up in the latter part thanks to all the action.  There is a good wrap up at the end, so I was not left with any lingering questions.  The romance blended nicely with the suspense, but I could have done with less romance.  It was not rushed, and it was clean.  I can tell the author did her research for this series.  She included some great details that add to the experience.  Hidden in the Night is a suspenseful story with a great cast of characters, plenty of twists and turns, faith, and romance. 

Hidden in the Night can be obtained from Amazon*.  You can find the first two books in the Missing in Alaska series here.  The first two books in the Missing in Alaska series are Cold Light of Day and Shadows at Dusk. Elizabeth Goddard has Suspicious Homicide coming out on June 25.  You can find Elizabeth Goddard's other novels here.  Thank you for stopping by today.  I will be sharing by thoughts on The Stranger in the Library by Eva Gates on Tuesday, June 11.  I am taking my mother to an appointment this afternoon (shall we take bets on whether she cancels or is late).  Wish me luck!  I have plans to work in my raised gardens this weekend.  My poppy plants have died out (they thrived February through early May, but the heat did them in). I need to pull out the dead vines and then I can add summer friendly plants.  I will work in the late evening to beat the heat (and wear a neck fan).  I hope you have a relaxing weekend.  Take care and Happy Reading!


Kris

The Avid Reader

*I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.  I am not required to leave a review.  The comments and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment