Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A Wrench in the Works by Kate Carlisle: A Fixer-Upper Mystery


A Wrench in the Works by Kate Carlisle takes us back to Lighthouse Cove.  Shannon Hammer is looking forward to her sister, Chloe coming to town.  Chloe is the co-star of Makeover Madness, a rehab and design show on the Home Builders Network.  Chloe has not been home for five years and the family is looking forward to catching up with her.  Chloe along with the crew from Makeover Madness are coming to town to do a feature on the Victorian homes in Lighthouse Cove.  Shannon has helped locate properties to showcase, and she will be on the show as well helping rehab a Victorian home in need.  Shannon quickly learns that television life is not glamorous and Chloe’s executive producer, Bree Bennett is a terror.  The day before filming begins, Shannon overhears an argument between Bree and Chloe and notices an eavesdropper in the form of the slimy Richard Stoddard.  The next morning, Chloe and Shannon arrive early at the Bloom house for the first day of filming.  They are exploring the first floor to see what work needs to be accomplished when they find Bree leaning against the tiles on the fireplace.  Chief Eric Jensen quickly arrives to take charge of the scene.  With everyone on the crew a suspect, Shannon and Chloe begin chiseling away at the suspects in the hopes of exposing a killer. 

A Wrench in the Works is a lively cozy mystery with engaging characters, beautiful Victorian homes, a charming town, and a murder mystery.   I thought the book was well-written and it gallops along at a snappy pace.  Kate Carlisle has a writing style that allowed me to be drawn into the story.  The dialogue is realistic, and the book has a good flow (I just kept reading until I finished).  Shannon is a strong female character in an unusual occupation for a woman.  I like her relationship with Mac (though he does seem a little too perfect).  Shannon has a loving family and good friends.  It was lovely to find out more about Chloe.  She has a secret that has been bothering her for ten years which has kept her from coming home.  There are sparks between Chloe and a certain police chief.  I am curious to see what happens next with them.  The mystery was intriguing with several suspects and misdirection.  Cozy mystery sleuths, though, will have no problem identifying the killer.  There are descriptions of beautiful Victorian homes in the book with their unique architectural details (I want to live in one).  I can see why Shannon loves her job restoring these beauties.  If you have not read the previous books in A Fixer-Upper Mystery series (or watched the movies), you will not be lost.  I am giving A Wrench in the Works 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it).  A Wrench in the Works is a peppy and warm cozy mystery.  I look forward to returning to Lighthouse Cove in the next A Fixer-Upper Mystery.
I appreciate you joining me today.  Tomorrow I am sharing my thoughts on A Vintage Death by Mary Ellen Hughes.  I hope you will stop by to read my review and enter the giveaway.  I hope you have a grand day.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment