Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Between You and Us by Kendra Broekhuis

 Between You and Us

Book Summary

Two possible lives to live. One impossible choice to make.

When Leona Warlon heads across the city to meet her husband, David, for a rare dinner out, she hopes they can share a moment of relief after their year of loss. But Leona quickly realizes this is no ordinary date night. She hasn’t just stepped into an upscale ristorante; she’s stepped into a different version of her life. One in which her marriage is no longer tender, in which her days are pressured by her powerful in-laws, and in which her precious baby girl lived.

Now Leona must weigh the bitter and sweet of both trajectories, facing an unimaginable choice: Stay in a world where tragedy hasn’t struck but where the meaningful life she built with David is gone? Or return to a reality that’s filled with struggle and sorrow but also deep and enduring love?

My Thoughts

Between You and Us by Kendra Broekhuis is an interesting story about grief, motherhood, and marriage.  I thought it was a touching tale.  It is told in alternating chapters between the past and present.  The reverse timeline was confusing at times.  We are immediately plunged into the alternate life at the beginning of Between You and Us.   We join Leona to learn about the past and how she ended up in the alternate world.  Leona will need to make a choice at the end of her self-discovery journey.  Of course, Leona needs to learn how she ended in this unfamiliar life and, if she desires, how to get back to her own life.  Leona faces difficult challenges in both worlds plus she learns some valuable lessons. We do not know what choice Leona will make until it is revealed. I do wish the pacing had been a little livelier.  I liked Leona’s husband, David (in both worlds), but I was unable to connect with Leona.  The chapters on grief are moving (have a box of tissues nearby).  Between You and Us is a complex, thought provoking story.

Between You and Us is available from Amazon*.  You can follow Kendra Broekhuis on Amazon and you will receive an email when she has a new book release.  Thank you for stopping by today.  I will return on Tuesday, March 19 with Kilned at the Ceramic Shop by Donna Clancy.  It is the first A Braddock Mystery.  I have a plumber arriving tomorrow who will hopefully take care of my water leak problem.  I am not sure where it is, but my water bill tells me that I have one.  The last time I tried to take care of the plumbing problem on my own, it ending up being a fiasco (and I ended up drenched). I am hoping that it is a simple fix (fingers crossed).  I am currently reading Unforgiven by Shelley Shepard Gray. I hope you have a cheerful week.  Take care and Happy Reading!


Kris

The Avid Reader

*I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.  I am not required to leave a review.  The comments and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

1 comment: