Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Down a Dark Road: A Kate Burkholder Novel


Happy Book Release Day!  Some of the novels that are available today are The Writing Desk by Rachel Hauck, 30 Second Death by Laura Bradford, Two Nights by Kathy Reichs, To Kill a Hummingbird by J.R. Ripley, A Basket Full of Bargains by Lorraine Bartlett and Down a Dark Road by Linda Castillo.  If you like to read historical, Christian novels, Tamera Alexander publishes a new novel in August.  It is titled To Wager Her Heart and it is the third novel in A Belle Meade Plantation series.  

Down a Dark Road by Linda Castillo is the newest A Kate Burkholder Novel.  Kate Burkholder is the chief of police in Painters Mill, Ohio.  Kate receives a call from Deputy Warden Jerry Murphy at the Mansfield Correctional Institute saying that Joseph King has escaped.  Joseph was convicted two years prior of murdering his wife.  His five children now live with their aunt and uncle on a farm outside Painters Mill.  Kate grew up with Joseph until his family moved away when she was thirteen.  She remembers the crush she had on Joseph and how he changed after his father passed away.  Kate does not think Joseph will return to town, but she sets up a watch on Rebecca and Daniel Beachy’s home.  Around 3 a.m. Kate is checking the perimeter when she is attacked.  Joseph gets the drop of Kate and forces her into the farmhouse.  Joseph is holding Kate along with his five children hostage.  Joseph swears to Kate that he is innocent, but he refuses to give himself up.  He does not want to go back to prison and he will not let the children go.  Joseph wants Kate to investigate and prove he did not murder his wife, Naomi.   Kate is set free and faces the criticism of her colleagues.  She remembers what Joseph was like as a young boy.  Kate sets off on her quest for answers.  Did Joseph kill Naomi as the evidence suggests?  Kate is in for a bumpy ride in Down a Dark Road.

I look forward to reading the latest Kate Burkholder book each year and Linda Castillo did not let me down with this tome.  Down a Dark Road captured and held my interest.  I found the book to be well-written and have a steady pace.  The mystery is complex with many twists and turns along the way (you can feel the suspense building up).  I did solve the mystery early in the story, but I enjoyed reading on to see how it would unravel. I would find dealing with the Amish very frustrating if I was a police officer (Kate is so patient).  Their reluctance to talk and help the law astounds me.  Kate Burkholder is a complicated person.  I liked that more of her youth was revealed to us (Kate looks back remembering her time with Joseph).  It is nice to see how Kate was as a girl (she grew up Amish).  I also appreciated seeing a more vulnerable side of Kate.  My rating for Down a Dark Road is 4.5 out of 5 stars.  While Down a Dark Road is the ninth book in the series, it can be read alone.  Personally, I am glad to have read the whole series, because each volume builds upon the previous. A new layer of Kate’s character is exposed and we discover a little more about Kate.  The epilogue was lovely and heartwarming.  I look forward to reading the tenth book in A Kate Burkholder series when it releases next year.  

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my review.  I am currently read Killer Party by Lynn Cahoon.  May you have a pleasant day and find some delightful new books to read.  I will be reviewing A Crime of Passion Fruit by Ellie Alexander next.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment