Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Persian Always Meows Twice: A Cat Groomer Mystery


I hope everyone is having a lovely week.  Broken Bones by Angela Marsons will be published on November 3.  It is the seventh book in the D.I. Kim Stone series.  Each book in this suspense/thriller series is better than the last.

The Persian Always Meows Twice by Eileen Watkins is the first book in the new series A Cat Groomer Mystery.  Cassie McGlone has opened Cassie’s Comfy Cats in Chadwick, New Jersey.  Cassie is off to her biweekly appointment at George DeLeuw’s house to groom his Persian cat, Harpo.  She arrives and finds Harpo outside and the front door ajar (you know where this is leading).  She follows Harpo to George’s study where she finds him dead from obvious blunt force trauma.  Detective Angela Bonnell of the Chadwick PD is assigned the case.  With herself and Nick Janos’ son (Cassie’s handyman) suspect in the murder, Cassie starts investigating.  Unfortunately, no one is giving her bupkis. Then Cassie becomes the temporary guardian of Harpo and someone is determined to get their paws on George’s confidant.  Did George’s high standards get him killed?  And why is everyone after Harpo?

The Persian Always Meows Twice is nicely written.  The author has an easy writing style which makes for a pleasant paced story.  There is just the right amount and type of humor.  I found the characters to be nicely developed (especially for the first book in the series).  Cassie is a smart, personable and caring woman with her own business (hooray).  I also think she is brave since she bathes cats (not an easy task unless the cat has been bathed since it was a kitten).  Cassie’s business sounds like a lovely place for cats.  My cats would love the perches in her place.  I thought it was funny that Cassie is not willing to let cats sleep in her bed (that is one of the best benefits unless they commandeer your pillow), but she does allow a cat on her table (while she eats).   My rating for The Persian Always Meows Twice is 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it).  The only disappointment was the mystery—it was light.  I wish the author had made it more complicated or added in a good twist to surprise me.  The killer’s identity is not a puzzler.  I was happy with the investigation and the amount of action.    I like that Cassie worked with the police to help solve the crime (and that the detective did not constantly tell Cassie to stay out of the investigation).  I will definitely be reading the next book which is The Bengal Identity.

I appreciate you visiting today!  I will return tomorrow with my review of Mining for Justice by Kathleen Ernst.  May you have a splendid day.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment