Thursday, May 25, 2023

Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill by Jennifer Beckstrand

Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill


Book Summary

Beloved inspirational romance author Jennifer Beckstrand continues her uplifting Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series featuring Huckleberry Hill, Wisconsin’s, irrepressible eighty-something matchmakers Anna and Felty Helmuth! Will appeal to readers of Amish and inspirational romance and fans of Charlotte Hubbard, Amy Lillard, and Emma Miller.

Martha Sue Helmuth wishes she could just relax and enjoy her extended visit with her beloved grandparents. Instead, she is nursing a broken heart over gentle widower Yost Beiler.  Yost’s thirteen-year-old son, Jonah, refuses to accept Martha Sue, and she refuses to risk coming between them. For now, she is just trying to avoid her Mammi’s choice of yet another eligible suitor. But when Yost moves himself and Jonah to Huckleberry Hill to change Martha Sue’s mind, she can't help dreaming that somehow, some way, she and Yost will have a miraculous second chance to be together . . .
After his wife’s untimely death, Yost did everything he could to help Jonah through his grief.  He hopes that Martha Sue's outgoing family—and her generous ways—will show his son how loving and trustworthy she truly is. But Anna and Felty's matchmaking antics are inspiring Jonah to drive Martha Sue off for good. And when he goes too far, can Yost and Martha Sue find the understanding to forgive him—and the strength to prove they can overcome differences to make one joyous forever family?
My Thoughts

Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill by Jennifer Beckstrand is a delightful Amish tale.  I always look forward to returning to Huckleberry Hill.  Anna and Felty Helmuth are a joy to visit.  Anna always has something up her sleeve and Felty goes along because he loves his wife.  I like Jennifer Beckstrand’s writing style.  It is relaxed and engaging.  It reminds me of chatting with old friends.  The story is told from Martha Sue, Jonah, and Yost’s point of view in alternating chapters.  I like that we get to see what each one is thinking and feeling.  Jonah’s chapters are especially illuminating.  The characters are developed and relatable.  I like that we get to see them learn and grow.  I enjoyed getting to know Martha Sue, Yost, and Jonah.  Jonah is certainly a clever boy who can think up devilish pranks.  Vernon Schmucker cannot take a hint.  I understood why Anna kept inviting him to dinner, but Vernon is full of himself.  I can see why he is not married and lives with his mother.  If I was Martha Sue, I would have had Jonah play a prank or two on Vernon. 

I like that we get to catch up with characters from the previous books in the series.  I laughed, chuckled, and giggled while reading this story.  Anna should be banned from cooking.  Some of her food combinations made me want to gag.  Felty is the perfect mate for her since his tastebuds suffered from a burn (he cannot taste a thing).  Anna is still knitting and always has a potholder ready to hand out to a potential beau for one of her grandchildren (or someone who could use a pick me up).  Anna’s yarn colors are akin to her cooking choices (colorful).  Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill is the eleventh novel in The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series.  While it can be read as a standalone, I highly recommend reading this entire series.  You will find yourself laughing frequently and wondering which relative will be Anna’s next victim (she is bound to run out of grandchildren).

Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill is a story of second (and third) chances, forgiveness, grace, Amish faith, family, and love.  I found myself staying up late to finish the story while all the while not wanting the book to end.  Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill is an entertaining Amish tale with a matchmaking Mammi, stomach-churning cooking creations, painful pranks, an irksome suitor, a dutiful Dawdi, a plethora of potholders, and a second chance romance.  

Second Chances on Huckleberry Hill is available from Amazon*.  You can find the other eleven books in The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series here (many of them can be read for free through Kindle Unlimited).  The twelfth book in The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series is Happily Ever After on Huckleberry Hill and it will be out on October 24 (I cannot wait to read it).  You can find Jennifer Beckstrand's other novels here.  Thank you for joining me today.  I will return on Tuesday, May 30 with Breaking McKinley's Curse by Mindy Steele.  It is the second book in The Mountain Protectors series.  I have been taking a walk each evening as my doctor requested (to work off the menopause weight which does not want to go away).  I take my cat, Dickens with me in a cat stroller.  In the beginning, I could tell she was not sure what to think of the walks.  She has really started to enjoy them.  She likes meeting people and seeing what is going on (she laps up the attention).  She sits upright in the stroller looking all around.  I can see some people doing a double take when they see a cat in the stroller instead of a baby.  It is fun to watch their reactions.  I like the fact that most people are accepting. I hope that you have a happy day. Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris

The Avid Reader 

No comments:

Post a Comment