Friday, November 10, 2017

Broken Bones: A D.I. Kim Stone Novel


Hello!  Death at the Midnight Dragonfly by Susan Boles is out today.  It is the third book in A Lily Gayle Lambert Mystery series.  Protected in Darkness by Heather Sunseri is out now.  It is the story of Charley Packstone and sequel to Cut in Darkness (part of the In Darkness series).  

Broken Bones by Angela Marsons is the seventh book in the D.I. Kim Stone series.  Kim Stone is ready to go home, but her car has decided not to start.  She is heading back inside the station house when she finds a baby outside.  Kim quickly calls DS Bryant to the station to assist (who cannot help but call his colleagues).  Kim assigns Stacey and Dawson the abandoned baby case and heads out with Bryant to investigate a new homicide.  Kelly Rowe, a down-on-her luck single mum, was found murdered.  This is just the first in a series of killings of prostitutes who work on Tavistock Road.  It leads Kim to encounter two people from her past.  Meanwhile, Stacey and Dawson are trying to track down the individual who abandoned the baby at the police station.  Their only clue is a Romanian shawl that the baby was wrapped in.  This clue leads them down the trail of the Robertson’s who employees Romanian workers.  Something is not right in that factory and it is hope to Kim’s team to uncover the truth. 

Broken Bones is well-written and captivating.  I was immediately drawn in to the story and I did not want to stop reading.  The story is full of twists (I just loved it).  I found the story to be fast paced with loads of action.  I am glad that more of Kim’s past is revealed in Broken Bones.  In each new book in the series, we get a glimpse into Kim Stone’s history.  I like seeing a softer side of Kim with her dog, Barney.  I also appreciate the banter between Kim and her team members.  Broken Bones does contain British slang and some words are spelled differently (than how we spell them in America).  It does not take away from the story and the meaning of the words can be construed from the text.  There is some foul language in the book (fair warning).  I do not recommend reading Broken Bones as a stand-alone.  Each book in the D.I. Kim Stone series builds upon the previous one.  You need to read the books in order.  It will help you to understand Kim and her team.  I am rating Broken Bones 5 out of 5 stars (I loved it).  The revelation of the murderer was the best part.  It will surprise most readers.  

If you enjoy my reviews, considering joining my blog.  You can sign up via email (at right).  If you belong to Google+, consider adding me to your circle.  I will return tomorrow with my thoughts on Slay Bells Ring by Karen Rose Smith (A Caprice De Luca Mystery).  May each of you have a beautiful day and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment