Friday, December 2, 2016

The Conjoined



Good Morning!  I hope everyone is having a lovely Friday morning. The week went by so quickly.  Egg Drop Dead by Laura Childs will be out on Tuesday, December 6.  It is the seventh book in the Cackleberry Club Mystery series.  If you enjoy Laura Childs novels, you will want to pre-order it!

The Conjoined by Jen Sookfong Lee, unfortunately, is one of the worst books I have read this year.  Jessica Campbell’s mother, Donna has passed away.  Jessica and her father, Gerry are clearing out her things (especially all the health food they cannot stand).  Gerry goes downstairs to clear out the freezers (you just know what he is going to find) and finds a body.  Detective Chris Gallo comes in to lead the investigation and the forensic team soon finds a second body.  Jessica suspects that they are two foster children that disappeared years ago.   How did they end up in the freezers?  Could her mother have killed them?  Jessica is determined to get to the bottom of the story.  Jessica must look to the past to get answers. Will she be able to find out the truth?

The Conjoined was a strange story with a disappointing ending. The story focuses on Jessica, her search for answers, and her relationship with her boyfriend, Trevor.  The novel is disjointed and jumps around making it hard to read.  It starts in the present, then goes back in time, then forward, then back.  I felt like a yo-yo.  I persevered and kept reading though.  I get to the end and I am disappointed (upset, disgusted and so much more).  The novel has foul language (too much of it) and intimate scenes.  I give The Conjoined 1 out of 5 stars (I really did not like it).   Jessica was not a likeable character.  She is with Trevor, but spends her time fantasizing about Detective Chris Gallo (and drinking too much alcohol).  The Conjoined was just not for me.

I will return later with my review of Shades of Wrath by Karen Rose Smith.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment