Saturday, March 10, 2018

Who Moved My Goat Cheese?: A Farm-to-Fork Mystery




Who Moved My Goat Cheese? by Lynn Cahoon is the first story in A Farm-to-Fork Mystery series.  Angie Turner has moved to River Vista, Idaho to live on the farm she inherited from her grandmother (Nona).  She has partnered with her best friend, Felicia Williams to open The County Seat which has a farm-to-table concept.  It is only three weeks until they open, and the pair are still working to line up all their local vendors.  One of the vendors they would like to work with is Gerald Moss of Moss Farm who sells goat cheese.  The one caveat is the crusty Mr. Moss who only sells his products to people he likes.  Fortunately for Angie, Mr. Moss and his goat Precious take to Angie right off.  He talks to her about his farm, his cheese cave and a secret that he will enlighten her on in the future.  The next morning Angie is told that Mr. Moss is dead.  Angie soon discovers that not many people cared for Mr. Moss or are upset at his passing.  This distresses Angie especially since Mr. Moss knew her Nona, and it sets her on the path to solving his murder.  When Angie goes to investigate the scene of the crime, she comes across Precious and ends up with a new farm resident.  Angie fits in her sleuthing in between setting up the restaurant, taking care of Precious and Dom (her St. Bernard pup), purchasing supplies for the restaurant, and visits from her neighbor, Mrs. Potter.  Who disliked Mr. Moss enough to kill him?  Angie is determined to find out in Who Moved My Goat Cheese?

Who Moved My Goat Cheese? is a good start to A Farm-to-Fork Mystery series.  I liked the authors conversational writing style and the story had a steady pace.  It made reading Who Moved Goat Cheese? a pleasure.  The story has good characters, but I wished the author had given readers more of Angie’s backstory.  I hope we learn more about Angie and Felicia in the next story.  I loved Dom, Angie’s St. Bernard puppy.  He reminds me of my dog, Doozy (his name tells you about his character).  Dom was a delightful addition to the story as was Precious, the goat. Both were quirky, entertaining and added levity to the story.  I like the theme of farm-to-table and it was nicely incorporated into the mystery.   The mystery had several suspects and there was good misdirection.  I was able to identify the killer early in the story, but it took longer to find out why this person killed Mr. Moss.  The mystery had some intriguing elements (I would say more but I do not want to spoil it for you).  I would like to have a little more action in the next book in the series.  The life lesson about not being able to change the past and not to dwell on it is a good addition to the book.  It is one many people struggle with daily (myself included).  I am giving Who Moved My Goat Cheese? 4 out of 5 stars.  I will be reading Killer Green Tomatoes when it comes out.   Who Moved My Goat Cheese? is a feel-good cozy mystery that readers of Lynn Cahoon and cozy mysteries will enjoy.

I appreciate you reading my review.  I will be sharing my thoughts on Cold Blooded Brew by Tonya Kappes tomorrow.  I hope you have a relaxing day that is filled with lovely books to read.  Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader


No comments:

Post a Comment