Tuesday, July 21, 2026

How to Kill a Crime Writer by Sarah Lotz

How to Kill a Crime Writer
Book Summary

After the untimely death of her bestselling crime novelist mother, a young woman teams up with the fictional “ghost” of the heroine from her mother’s series in order to solve her mother’s murder.

After the tragic death of bestselling crime writer Annie Morrisey, her daughter, Niamh, moves into her mother's country cottage to take care of her mother’s estate. Shut away from the world, Niamh doesn't actually have to deal with the grief of her mother's untimely passing. Until the day that two things happen: the advance copy of her mother's final book lands on the doorstep and Leah Rebecca Overton appears in the kitchen.
Having a stranger show up in your house would be concerning at the best of times, but Leah isn't a stranger—she's the ultra-competent sleuth heroine from Annie’s novels. The antithesis of Niamh in every way, she's lived in the fictitious character's shadow for years. But why (and how) has Leah turned up now? And why can only Niamh see her? Leah is the last thing Niamh wants in her house or in her head, but she can't ignore the sleuth...especially when Leah suspects there may have been more to Annie's death than first suspected.
About the Author

Sarah Lotz is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter based on the Welsh borders. Her novels include The Impossible Us, The Three, and Day Four.
My Thoughts

How to Kill a Crime Writer by Sarah Lotz is such a fun, lighthearted read. It is well written, with steady pacing and a smooth flow that kept me happily turning the pages. The dialogue feels realistic and lively, and I could easily picture the characters and settings as the story unfolded.  The characters are well developed, and while there are moments of grief, the humor and sarcasm really shine throughout. The mystery is entertaining from start to finish and wraps up in a satisfying way. The author’s note at the end is especially touching and adds a lovely emotional note.  Overall, How to Kill a Crime Writer is an entertaining, quirky, and memorable story that would be perfect for curling up with on a rainy afternoon.

How to Kill a Crime Writer is available from Amazon.   You can find Sarah Lotz's other novels here.  I will be featuring The Masala Chai Mystery Club by MJ Soni on Wednesday, July 22.  
Dickens is napping on the first floor!
I put together a cat house for the neighborhood cats this weekend.  Once I got past the first two steps, the rest was a piece of cake.  I need to do a few finishing touches, and it will be ready to put outside.  I hope that by the time I am done, Dickens, my cat, will be willing to give it up.  Dickens is having a good time going in and out the different entrances as well as exploring the different levels.  The novelty will wear off after a few days (maybe a week or two) and then I can put the cat house outside.  Dickens may be eighteen, but she acts like a kitten.  May your day be as breathtaking as a sunrise over a tranquil meadow.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris

The Avid Reader

*I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.  I am not required to leave a review.  The comments and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment