Wednesday, July 22, 2026

The Masala Chai Mystery Club by MJ Soni

 The Masala Chai Mystery Club
Book Summary

Suspects abound when a much-despised neighbor is killed, perfect for fans of Only Murders in the Building and Richard Osman’s The Thursday Murder Club.

Retired librarian Neeti Shah was hoping for a restful life with her chai-loving friends, but when the body of a neighbor, a childhood friend of Neeti's, turns up dead and the killer’s MO is similar to that of Neeti's most recent book club read, things start to get out of control.

When Neeti hears a commotion at a neighbor’s house, she finds Rohit’s body sprawled across the bottom of the staircase with Agatha Christie’s Dumb Witness nearby. Blackmailing his neighbors, threatening them with lawsuits, and calling them by nasty nicknames were only some of the hateful things that made him so disliked. But were they angry enough to kill?
Neeti is indebted to her old friend, and she's determined to find his killer. But she can't do it alone, so she enlists her mystery-loving friends, the Masala Chai Mystery Club, to get to the bottom of the murder.

But Neeti and her club members need to be careful. As more bodies turn up and more suspects start to appear, they’ll need to find the killer before they end up in hot water!

My Thoughts

Pull up a cozy chair and pour yourself a frothy cup of chai—The Masala Chai Mystery Club by MJ Soni is a warm, feel-good mystery with plenty of charm. The story introduces a lively cast of characters, including Neeti Shah, a retired librarian who is smart, strong, and easy to root for. The whodunit is engaging, with curious clues sprinkled throughout, and I enjoyed following the investigation to its satisfying conclusion. While I did figure out the guilty party before the reveal and felt a few clues were emphasized a bit too strongly, the journey remained entertaining. 

The vivid descriptions of snacks and spiced, frothy chai were especially delightful—they practically made my mouth water and brought the aromas to life. As a debut novel, this book has a promising foundation, an appealing concept, and a lot of heart. With a bit more polish and fine-tuning, this series could really shine. I also appreciated the nods to Agatha Christie’s Dumb Witness and the thoughtful reminder that life after retirement can be full of discovery, adjustment, and new purpose. Cozy, flavorful, and full of promise, this debut leaves readers with the pleasant feeling of having enjoyed a comforting cup of chai with friends.

The Masala Chai Mystery Club is available now from Amazon and other major booksellers, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I’ll be featuring The Reimagined Life of Jade Morrow by Vannetta Chapman on Thursday, July 23, so be sure to stop back by. Dickens is still completely enthralled with the cat house, and it has been such a joy to watch her peek through the windows, poke her head through the doorways, and pop out the top. I have a feeling the neighborhood cats will enjoy it too—once Dickens eventually decides she’s had her fill of it. May your day be filled with laughter, joy, and a good book. Take care, and Happy Reading!


Kris

The Avid Reader

*I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.  I am not required to leave a review.  The comments and opinions expressed are strictly my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment