Monday, April 24, 2017

Rachel's Dream: Hope Chest of Dreams


Greetings!  Wendy Wax has a new novel coming out tomorrow.  It is the fifth book in Ten Beach Road Novel series and called One Good Thing.  I have added it to my TBR pile.  I am curious to see what happens in the series.

Rachel’s Dream by Lisa Jones Baker is the third book in Hope Chest of Dreams series.  Rachel Kauffmann is eighteen years old, and her hope chest contains her journal with her secret dreams for her life.  Rachel loves the family horse Cinnamon and is worried about her.  Her father calls out the new vet Dr. Jarred Zimmerman.  Jarred is instantly attracted to Rachel’s sweet, caring nature and glass half full attitude.  Rachel appreciates Jarred’s love for animals and his caring personality.  Cinnamon is very ill and Rachel prays for his recovery.  She is grateful for Jarred doing everything possible to save the horse.  Rachel and Jarred get to know each other when Jarred visits to check on Cinnamon.  Rachel learns that Jarred has not gotten over a tragic incident when he way four years old.  It forever changed Jarred.  Rachel encourages him to contact his parents to resolve the matter.  Jarred is amazed at Grace’s faith and optimism.  The pair are quickly falling for each other, but the path to happiness is not a smooth one.  If they are to have a future together, God will show them the way. 

Rachel’s Dream is easy to read and ties in nicely with the other two books in the series.  I had trouble with the character of Rachel.  She is eighteen, but Rachel comes across as a starry eyed young teenager (a young idealistic twelve or thirteen-year-old girl).  I found the romance between Rachel who seems so naïve and young having a romance with a man in his late 20s or early 30s (I am guessing since Jarred’s age is not mentioned) was off-putting.  Rachel wants her horse to get better no matter what.  I can understand having faith and praying for a miracle, but not letting a horse suffer for months (I dislike seeing animals hurting and in pain).  I wish there were more miracles in the world, but it is hard to keep the faith with all the violence in our society.  I also doubt a practical farmer would keep paying vets bills for that length of time.  Rachel’s strong faith and belief in miracles is a lovely trait.  I wish I had such strong convictions.  Rachel also knew what she wanted from life, and she was very unwilling to compromise.  Rachel’s dreams mostly involve getting married and having a houseful of children (which she mentions many times throughout the book).  Of course, this does go with the Amish society as it is portrayed in novels (nevertheless, it really goes against my feminine beliefs).  It once again showcases Rachel’s youthfulness.   The religious aspect was medium level with the focus on prayer (also mentioned are faith and God’s plan for our lives).  I give Rachel’s Dream 2 out of 5 stars (I just found it lacking).  I found the storyline or plot to be flimsy (weak) and unrealistic.  Jarred talks about joining the Amish faith, but the practicalities of this decision are not discussed (would he be allowed to keep his practice for example).  I did find repetition of information throughout the story (the same details were repeated over and over).  It seemed like filler to lengthen the length of the book.  Rachel’s Dream is my least favorite book in the series.  I think Rachel’s Dream would do better with a younger audience (it reminds me of books I read as a young teen). While Rachel's Dream is the third book in the series, it can be read as a stand-alone.  Rachel's Dream will be released on April 25.

Thank you for reading through my review.  I know it was a little longer today.  I will be sharing my thoughts on Sweet Tea and Spirits by Angie Fox tomorrow.  May you have a marvelous Monday.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment