Sunday, October 23, 2016

Curious Minds


It's the beginning of a new week!  I hope everyone is having a nice, relaxing Sunday!  Aimee Runyan has a new novel coming out on Tuesday, October 25.  It is Duty to the Crown and is the second book in Daughters of New France Series.  The first book in the series Promised to the Crown was very good.  I am looking forward to reading the second installment.

Curious Minds by Janet Evanovich is A Knight-Moon Novel (first book in a new series).  Riley Moon has just graduated Harvard Business and Harvard Law and has landed her dream job as a junior analyst at Blane-Grunewald in Washington, D.C.  The second week on the job her boss Werner assigns her to Emerson Knight.  Emerson Knight lives in Mysterioso Manor and is very eccentric.  The bank has sent him numerous requests to visit since the death of Emerson’s father, but he has ignored each and every one of them.  So, the bank sends Riley to Emerson.  Riley is actually glad to get away from the office.  Her boss is slightly smarmy and keeps calling her “Moonbeam”.  Emerson presents Riley with an unusual request.  He wants his gold (he owns actual gold bars).  Riley explains that it is not that easy.  So, Emerson will settle for seeing his gold and he would like a meeting with Gunter Grunwald.  Emerson’s simple requests turn out to be not so simple.  Gunter has disappeared.  There is also money missing from six clients (Emerson is one of them).  Riley and Emerson set out to get answers.  They are in for one thrilling and dangerous adventure. 

Curious Minds had some snippets that I liked, but, for the most part, I did not enjoy Curious Minds.  It was too silly to be enjoyable.  We have an extremely eccentric millionaire.  Emerson wears Converse sneakers (I liked that part), sleeps in a tent in the library, the weird house, the various zoo animals, extremely brilliant, etc.  Emerson is many various characters slapped together (Sherlock Holmes for one and Richey Rich is another—I am dating myself with this reference).  Let us not forget his Aunt Myra and the pet armadillo.  I found the characters to be flat. If there is supposed to be chemistry between Riley and Emerson, I did not feel it.  The “mystery” is no mystery.  It is a storyline that must play out (we are not given the opportunity to solve the mystery).  We follow Riley and Emerson as they investigate the gold issue and the bad bank men (another cliché).  I was very disappointed by Curious Minds.  It is not my type of story.  I prefer more serious mystery novels (with a mystery that I can try and solve).  I am just not a fan of slap stick comedy (I do not like the Three Stooges either).  I give Curious Minds 2 out of 5 stars.  I will be steering clear of this series in the future.  

I want to thank you for reading my latest review.  I appreciate it.  I am off to enjoy some Chinese food.  I do not have to cook this Sunday (all of us our sick).  I finally found a great Chinese restaurant in my town. The food is fabulous.  I will see you tomorrow for my review of Fatal Frost by Karen MacInerney. Have a delightful evening, take care and Happy Reading!

Kris 
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment