Saturday, January 21, 2017

Raging Storm: The Remnant series


I hope everyone is having a delightful Saturday.  It is very windy in my area today.  The wind is bringing in rain and a "cold" front (which means the weather will be in the 60s during the day).  I just love to snuggle up in a chair with a good book while it is raining. How about you?

Raging Storm by Vannetta Chapman is the second book in The Remnant series.  Shelby Sparks and her son, Carter have relocated with Max Berkman to High Fields.  High Fields is the farm belonging to Gloria and Roy Berkman, Max’s parents.  With the destruction of the Sparks home and the problems Abney is encountering, it made sense to relocate.  But Shelby does not plan on staying at the farm for long.  She needs to get to Austin to find more insulin for Carter.  Shelby’s first priority is taking care of her son and he needs the insulin to survive.  Max, of course, will not let Shelby go alone (he loves Shelby and wants to protect her).  The two of them set off for Austin, but encounter a problem when they reach Abney.  Nadine Perkins, the mayor, wishes them to find medicine for the town.  They are in desperate need of antibiotics and other medications.  Mayor Perkins insists that they take Dr. Farhan Bhatti with them.  He knows Austin and the medications needed.  Shelby resents the delay, and she distrusts Dr. Bhatti, but the mayor is leaving them with no choice.  Patrick Goodnight and Bianca Lopez will be joining them on the perilous journey to Austin.  Bianca and Patrick will follow in a second vehicle and provide backup in case they encounter trouble along the way.  This group was not prepared for what they encounter in Austin.  Will Shelby be able to find the insulin she so desperately needs for her son?  Will this group be able to get out of Austin and back home?

Raging Storm picks up where Deep Shadows left off.  Raging Storm is even better than the first book.  This book is well-written and engaging.  I was immediately drawn in and kept reading until I finished the story.  The novel has a good pace which makes it a pleasure to read.  I give Raging Storm 4.5 out of 5 stars (I really liked it).  The only sour note was Shelby.  I had trouble liking her in Deep Shadows, and I found her discourteous in the first half of this novel.   Shelby is impatient (dislikes every delay in their journey) and is only thinking about her objective for the journey (I understand her concern, and I have issues with patience myself).  However, Shelby does change over the course of the story and improves in the second half of the book.  I think that Vannetta Chapman did a remarkable job at depicting what life would be like if we experienced a disaster.  We would like to think that people would help each other out and come together as a community.  But it is not realistic.  Many people would be looking out for themselves and trying to find ways to profit from the disaster (you know I am being realistic).  I liked how Ms. Chapman tied Raging Storm back to Overshadowed.  Readers finally get to find out about The Remnant and how it connects to the story.  I am curious to see what will happen in the next book in The Remnant series.    Raging Storm is not a stand-alone novel.  You do need to read Overshadowed and Deep Shadows prior to Raging Storm. The third and final book in the series is Light of Dawn.

I am off to cook dinner (we are having breakfast for dinner) and then watch Ransom.  It is a show that airs Saturdays at 8 p.m. on CBS. I want to thank you for visiting and reading my latest review. May each of you have a lovely, Saturday night.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment