Sunday, February 19, 2017

Whale of a Crime: The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries


Welcome.  I sincerely hope you are having a good Sunday.  I worked on cleaning my bedroom closet.  I have not ventured into it since I moved into this room a little over a year ago (it is packed full of stuff)!  So far I have discovered Christmas lights, a Build-a-Bear Cow (not mine), books (some of them are mine), a tool box, Buckopoly, and many items belonging to my mother.  Who knows what is lurking in the hidden depths!

Whale of a Crime by Karen MacInerney is the seventh book in The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries. Natalie Barnes’ Gray Whale Inn on Cranberry Island, Maine is stuffed to the gills with guests from Northern Spirit Tours.  The group gets to whale watch on the Summer Breeze.  Though Natalie does have her hands full, she manages to take a few hours to enjoy the experience.  Things get tense when Captain Bainbridge gets too close to the whales (breaking the law) and gets into an argument with naturalist, Alex van der Berg.  The next day the group is ready to depart on the schooner for the day, but Carl Bainbridge has yet to arrive.  First mate Martina Garza takes charge of the party and weighs anchor.  There is a little hitch when the anchor comes out of the water with Captain Bainbridge attached to it.  The top suspect is Alex who happens to be dating Charlene, Natalie’s best friend.  Charlene is upset and needs Natalie to sail Alex off the police’s radar.  Natalie and John (her husband) have some problems of their own.  Bridget, Natalie’s sister, shows up after hearing about her daughter’s (Gwen) engagement to local lobsterman, Adam.  Bridget is determined to return home with Gwen in tow.  The night before the death of Captain Bainbridge, Natalie discovered a six week old kitten on their porch.  Natalie is in the laundry room with the sweet, little baby when she feels water falling on her. It is raining indoors.  Natalie rushes upstairs to find a guest bathtub overflowing (the wood floors in the bedroom are ruined).  This incident is just the first for the Gray Whale Inn.  Natalie’s livelihood is in jeopardy.  Things cannot get any worse, or can they?  Natalie is in for a rocky ride in Whale of a Crime


Whale of a Crime is an entertaining novel.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I believe Whale of a Crime is my favorite book in the series.  The book is easy to read and well-written. I felt it was just the right length. Whale of a Crime has nice, likeable characters and a beautiful setting.  There is quite a big going on in the book, but it was not overwhelming (I did not even mention the poor baby whale that needs assistance).  I give Whale of a Crime 5 out of 5 stars.  The murder mystery was complex and twisty (which you know I love).  One teeny, tiny little clue provided the key (at least for me) to solving the murder portion of the book.  While Whale of a Crime is the seventh book in the series, it can be read alone.  The author provides the necessary background information.  I do, though, recommend the other books in The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries.  I have read and enjoyed all of them.  I will be reading the next book in The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries when it releases.  The other novels in the series are Murder on the Rocks, Dead and Berried, Murder Most Maine, Berried to the Hilt, Brush with Death, and Death Runs Adrift.  Whale of a Crime is available on Kindle Unlimited.

I appreciate you taking time out of your day to visit my blog.  I am currently reading Banana Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke.  I am going to go enjoy my dinner and then watch Mercy Street, Victoria and When Calls the Heart.  May each of you have a relaxing evening.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment