Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Ax to Grind: A Kenni Lowry Mystery


Happy Book Release Day!  Tonya Kappes is the author of A Ghostly Southern Mystery series, A Killer Coffee Mystery series, A Kenni Lowry Mystery series and A Magical Cures Mystery series. Readers can connect with her on Facebook (she also holds contests) and follow Ms. Kappes on Goodreads and Amazon.  

Ax to Grind by Tonya Kappes is the third story in A Kenni Lowry Mystery series.  Kenni Lowry is the sheriff in Cottonwood, Kentucky.  It is time to start her re-election campaign and her mother is pulling out all the stops (imagine giant sign and a bull horn—just for starters) since Kenni’s former deputy, Lonnie Lemar is running against her.  Kenni is at an award ceremony honoring her dog, Duke when she is approached by Cecily Hoover, Beryle Stone’s assistant.  Beryle, a famous author, passed away a week ago and her estate is to be auctioned off.  Beryle had finished a tell-all book that will expose secrets and Cecily is afraid someone will try to steal it.  The one problem is Beryle hid the manuscript and Cecily has been unable to locate it.  Before the book can be found, Cecily turns up dead in the alley behind Ruby’s Antiques and Paige Lemar is unconscious inside.  Poppa, Kenni’s grandfather, returns to help her with the case.  The killer obviously does not wish the manuscript to see the light of day (much less be published).   Kenni along with Deputy Finn Vincent (and let’s not forget Poppa) dig into Beryle’s past to find Cecily’s killer. 

Ax to Grind may be the third installment in A Kenni Lowry Mystery series, but it can be read alone.  The author provides the necessary background on Kenni as well as summaries of what occurred in the first two books in the series.  I found the book to be a slow starter, but the pace picked up the further I got into the story.  The zaniness factor was ramped up in Ax to Grind (much to my disappointment).  Kenni’s mother needs to be reined in (my mother thought her antics were hysterical, and she told me I lack a sense of humor).  If I was Kenni, I would change my house locks (using an out-of-town locksmith) and get an untraceable phone number (to thwart her mother).  The mystery was cleverly set up, but I wish there had been a good twist to surprise me.  I identified the killer before the third chapter in the book.  There are a limited number of suspects and there are big clues that point to the killer.  Most readers will be able to solve the crime before the reveal.  I love the paranormal element (Poppa) and wish there was more of it in the story.  I feel that Poppa would be a great resource to Kenni if used properly.  A Kenni Lowry Mystery series portrays what life is like in small Southern towns.  For those readers who enjoy light, comical cozy mysteries, pick up a copy of Ax to Grind.  Fixin' to Die and Southern Fried (currently $.99 on Amazon) are the first two books in the series.

Thank you for reading my latest review.  I will be sharing my thoughts on Doom with a View by Kate Kingsbury on Wednesday, September 20.  I hope that you have a pleasant and happy day.  Take care and Happy Reading!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment