Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Assaulted Caramel: An Amish Candy Shop Mystery



Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower begins An Amish Candy Shop Mystery series.  Bailey King has rushed to Harvest, Ohio to check on her grandfather, Jebidiah King.  She received a call from grandmother, Clara that his heart condition was worse and he had been taken to the hospital.  Bailey is walking up to Swissmen Sweets (where her grandparents work and live) to sees her grandfather having a disagreement with someone before collapsing (he would not stay in hospital).  Her grandparents are Amish and have a strong work ethic. It was at her grandfather’s side that Bailey learned her love of chocolate.  It turns out that the man arguing with Jebidiah was Tyson Colton.  Tyson has been trying to convince Jebidiah to sell the shop. Tyson has big plans for the town.  The next morning, Bailey heads downstairs to get her phone and finds Tyson Colton stabbed to death in the shop’s kitchen.   It is soon apparent that the police consider Bailey’s grandfather their prime suspect.  Bailey knows that this situation will only worsen her grandfather’s heart condition.  She switches out her sugar thermometer for a deerstalker cap and sets out to find Tyson’s killer. 

I found Assaulted Caramel to be well-written and engaging.  It has an easy writing style which made for an enjoyable read.  The story has real characters, a lovely setting, steady pace and plenty of humor.  One of my favorite things in the book (besides the luscious chocolate and fudge descriptions) was Jethro, the spotted pig.  Jethro’s description and antics had me chuckling.  I also appreciated the snark from Bailey’s best friend, Cass Calbera.  I hope we see more of Cass in future novels.  My rating for Assaulted Caramel 4.5 out of 5 stars (I liked it, but easily solve the mystery).  I did feel that there was too much internal dialogue (Bailey thinking).   The mystery had some good elements and many readers will not guess the identity of the culprit until the second half of the story (or you might be surprised).  There are the right number of suspects and pointed clues.   I am eager to read Lethal Licorice when it comes out in February.

I really appreciate you visiting and reading my book evaluation.  My current reading selection is Cat Got Your Secrets by Julie Chase.  I will be showcasing A Knit Before Dying by Sadie Hartwell tomorrow.  May each of you have a remarkable day!  Take care, stay dry (it has been pouring in my area) and Happy Reading (perfect time to stay inside and read)!

Kris
The Avid Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment